Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Why Do I Do What I Do?

I was over at a friend's house the other day, and she asked "Are you crazy? You are so weird Care! Who loves organizing and cleaning??"

I do!

I've been a bit OCD apparently since I was quite young. Cleaning my mother's stovetop, or clearing out the cupboards and organizing them. Organizing my father's office ( and no, he wasn't happy about it!), alphabetizing my books, records and paperwork in my room. I was one of the weird kids that didn't have to be told to clean up her room :)

Over the years, I have had friends call me to ask me over for a cup of tea, only to realise once I'm there, that their true intention was to complain to me about their lack of space in this child's room or their kitchen and would I mind helping them out?

Well of course I didn't mind! lol

When I started doing it as a business in 1981, organization was a small part of what I did for clients. It wasn't until the late 90's that I included it as a full service in the business, and I just loved it.

Having a client call me after I had been in their home, thanking me for how much better they were feeling about their child's room or their closet or their kitchen cupboards just makes me feel happy. (I've also had calls from clients who thank me but moan that now they can't find anything! lol. Fortunately those calls are far and few between!).

There's nothing better to me, than knowing that a client is feeling happy, clear headed and relaxed. That when they walk into their room, they aren't tripping over the piles of shoes on the floor, their husband's clothes, or their childrens' toys in any room. That when they go to find something in their pantry, they aren't having to wade through packages of noodles or half used jars of too old spices to get to what they want. Or by labelling their shelves, that their teenagers know where to put things back!

That feeling of being organized, everything in it's place and everything clean, and I mean CLEAN. Not just what other people can see, but knowing that corners are clean, under the carpet is clean - everything is just clean :)

I still on occasion get roped into helping a friend organize - but over the years, it has become less and less because they are now organized! Oh, and they don't want to face me if it isn't :)

I will be giving tips and tricks on how to organize the various rooms in your home, garage, workshop and how you can economically achieve this! One need not spend a fortune to have a well organized closet or set of drawers. I lean more towards re-using/re-purposing and recycling items before purchasing anything, and I hope that you will find some of these ideas useful.

After over 30 years of being the home care business, I want to share what I've learned with all of you! Please do not hesitate to let me know what your tips 'n tricks are for re-purposing or re-using items in your home :)

oxo
DG

All for now,
oxo

No comments:

Post a Comment